A large collection of photographs and research materials helps to show the history of Cochise County.1001 D Avenue. (520)364-5226. Also at this address: The Douglas/Williams House Museum and Genealogical Library. Open Wednesdays.
This hotel in Douglas, Arizona was built in 1907 is one of the last “Grand Hotels” and features Tiffany windows, a white marble staircase, stained-glass murals and gold-leaf ceilings. (520) 364-4481
The San Bernardino National Wildlife Refuge
The San Bernardino NWR is located on the US/Mexican border, 17 miles East of Douglas. It is open to bird watching, photography and hiking. As well as dove, quail, and cottontail rabbit hunting in season. phone: (520 ) 364-2104
Arizona Cactus and Succulent Research, Inc.
A botanical garden, which features a variety of high-desert plants that, are indigenous to this region. They conduct free guided tours and the center is open from sun-up to sun-down. (520) 432-7040
Bisbee Restoration and Historical Museum
This museum displays artifacts, clothing and memorabilia from the Old Bisbee mining era of the late 1880’s and early 1900’s. Open Tuesday through Sunday inside the Fair Store Building at 37 Main St.
Muheim Heritage House
A pioneer home that reflects 1902-1925 mining era and is furnished with period pieces. (520) 432-7071
Lavender Open-Pit Mine
Opened in 1951, the mine yielded more than 41 million tons of concentrated ore. The pit is 1.5 miles long, 3/4 of a mile wide and 950 feet deep. Tours available. (520) 432-2071.
Queen Mine Tours
One of Arizona’s first mining camps and one of only a few underground copper mines. Tours are conducted on the old ore car rail system. Take a jacket, it’s 47 degrees down there. (520) 432-2071.